Monday, January 17, 2011

January 16, 2010 First Herping Trip of the year.

Well, check this out, I went to the Withlachochee State Trail today with my step-dad. The temperature was about 71 degrees with a light wind. The sun was shining and I was thinking today would be a good day of herping. We walked for a long time, and we found a lot of good habitats, and we found a lot of good vernal pools that would be good to come back to during the summer when it fills up. We were currently walking around in a Cypress forest.
I found a fallen pine tree with some loose bark on it hoping to find a cool herp underneath it. After ripping the bark off the pine tree I spotted this cool Hyla known as the Pine Woods Treefrog.

This was the second time I've found one of these treefrogs. I haven't seen a Pine Woods Treefrog since 2007 while on a field trip to Chinsegut Nature Center.

I was really hoping to find some Eastern Coral Snakes today, but it didn't happen. I knew of people who have found them, but I can't wait until I find one. I have only found DORs (dead on road). I hope to return to this place and do a lot better than I did today.

Still a good day though, the Pine Woods Treefrog was a good find, but hope to find even better herps next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment